1. Your foundation should match your face and your neck. Since your neck is often a different color than your face, blend your foundation down so there is an illusion of flawlessness.
2. French Manicures- It’s important to change up your look to keep you looking young and fresh. So if you’ve been wearing that french manicure since the prom, it might be time to give it up.
3. Your lip liner should never be visible, should you decide you even need to wear it. Most of time you can skip this step though.
4. Public grooming is a definite no-no! I remember walking into a Sears outlet one time and the sales guy was cutting his fingernails in the middle of all the washers and dryers. Not a joke. So gross. Some things need to be done at home! This includes brushing your hair. Keep this at home or in the bathroom. It always surprises me when I see people brushing their hair in a restaurant.
5. Bronzer is supposed to make you look sun-kissed, not look like you got smacked in the face with the sun. 🙂 A little goes a long way. Orange is not a bronzer.
6. My mom always taught me to never leave the house with a chipped manicure or pedicure and I have followed that rule. I admit that I haven’t listened to everything mom has said but this seemed like a good one.
7. Over-tanning is dangerous. Tanning is dangerous. Bad for aging, bad for your health. Skip it and get a spray tan instead.
8. Mascara should not be clumpy or flaky. Applying 3-4 coats does not make your lashes look better, it makes them look messy. Find a good mascara that you can use with 1-2 coats. Tammy Faye Baker did not have the right idea! Do the opposite!!
So many myths and remedies that have been around for years and a lot of people don’t know if they work or of they should try it. Here is a list of some popular “tips” I read and hear about all the time that you should AVOID!
1. Toothpaste– It can dry out your skin and actually darken the areas that you apply it.
2. Benzoyl Peroxide– This is an effective spot treatment and can be used EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE but this is why I don’t think it should be used all the time… a. Drying to the skin b. Can thin the skin c. Makes your skin photo-sensitive d. Can make your skin sensitive e. Can make your Langerhan Cells go dormant- these are responsible for killing foreign viruses/molds/bacterias.
3. Biore Strips– These don’t work even though they appear that they do. The black stuff you are seeing is the top of the blackheads but the strip is not actually removing anything under the skin, where the the build-up is trapped.
4. ProActiv– I’m sorry but I’m not a fan. And while this may work temporarily, it is not fixing the problem. It usually dries out the skin and after awhile, it stops working altogether.
5. Tanning (the sun or in a bed)- I know that people love this “remedy” but it just isn’t true. Tanning causes your skin to increase cell production which, in turn, creates more dead skin cells. That is what we are trying to avoid, right?
6. Dry Out Your Skin– I know people with oily skin want less oil. This is possible without drying out your skin. You need oil so it’s about finding a way to balance it. When you strip all the oil from your skin (most OTC products do this) then your skin produces more oil because it needs the moisture. It cannot produce water so you are left with oily skin. If you only use products that treat and replenish your skin, then you will find the balance.