I am very fortunate to have a mentor that has guided me through my career at the beginning. I had known her for a very long time so when I finally decided to go to school to become an Esthetician, she was very supportive and said she would help me. I remember her telling me that it didn’t really matter what school I went to, it was what I learned after that mattered. A little sad, actually. Why aren’t the schools better? I got lucky and had a great teacher but I know others that didn’t so I believe it to be true. Plus, I have learned so much more since I graduated because I pushed myself to do it. The thing with this profession, it’s a lot of self-motivating. I’ve got the drive though because I absolutely love what I do.
I read an article a long time ago that was titled, “9 Secrets Your Esthetician Won’t Tell You.” It always bothered me. In every profession there are people that are dishonest but I felt like that article makes it seem like we are all liars or secretive about our knowledge. I pride myself on being truthful with my clients and to tell them everything I can while I have their attention. That was one of the first things my mentor taught me. She said that it’s important to be honest and if I didn’t know something, say that. I could always get the answer later and tell them instead of making up something.
So I want to go through the list of what was in that article…
- We Can Scar Your Face– I’m not going to do that! I am gentle with my extractions and people do not leave my treatment room with irritated skin. I recently had a new client come in and she told me that she had an Esthetician who only used a needle on her face. She could actually feel the blood dripping down. This infuriated me. It’s exactly why some people are scared to see someone like me. Trust me when I say, I have never ever heard of anything like this before. Yes, I have heard many stories of the years but this is probably the worst.
- You Can Get the Same Results at Home– That just isn’t true. Yes, home care is extremely important but what I do in the treatment room can’t be done on your own. That is the point of you coming to see me. Extractions are one of the most important reasons to see a professional because you simply can’t do these properly on your own.
- You Can Ignore Our Sales Pitches– I do think that the products I retail are great but that doesn’t mean you have to purchase them. Anyone who has come to me, knows that. If you are interested (I do not force it) then I will send you home with a full regimen of samples, including a prescription sheet that tells you exactly what to do at home. I will not leave products for you at the register to guilt you into buying, as I’ve heard happens a lot and I will not call and bug you. When you are ready, you can purchase through me or even online. For me it’s not about sales, it’s about you having great skin. That’s it.
- We Love Popping Pimples, But We Aren’t Taught How to Do It– Definitely not true for me. Not only was I taught in school but my mentor also went into great detail with me. This is why I don’t scar you!
- Never Trust a Zitty Esthetician– This can be true to some degree. We all struggle with our skin and sometimes even Estheticians have problems. If it’s an ongoing situation, I would understand the hesitation but so many things could be going on with them that has nothing to do with them being an Esthetician. I had an issue with my skin about a year ago and it lasted awhile. It wasn’t acne but it was rashy and I was embarrassed about it. My skin is my advertisement but please understand that we also have hormones and that can be out of our control.
- We Know If You’ve Been Picking– Oh yes! And I will definitely call you out on it!!
- You Don’t Actually Need That Peel or Microdermabrasion– I will always recommend what is best for YOU. No exceptions! But everyone always needs something extra. Weather change, travel, hormones, etc. All those things create issues for our skin and going a little deeper is just another way to keep us looking youthful.
- You Won’t See Immediate Results– Not true, for the most part. There are some facials that may require more treatments (and continued home care) for you to see results. I do my best to have my clients loving their skin when they walk out of my treatment room. If anything, your skin should at least look and feel healthier.
- Never Trust an Esthetician with Long Nails– Well, maybe trust is a strong word, but I figured this out on my own while in school. I didn’t understand how anyone could properly do extractions or massage with long nails. That is how you can scar and scratch people! Then, while talking to my mentor one day, she mentioned it. She told me that I should never trust another Esthetician that has long nails. She, of course, wasn’t being serious about the word trust either, but she was right about the nails.
I am thankful for my mentor. She has helped me so much to get me where I am now. “Be better than Betty” is what she always tells me and I strive for that everyday. And now I am so lucky because I get to work next to her and since I’ve been doing this awhile, we now get to exchange ideas and product recommendations. It’s fun!
Come see me and I’ll show you why I’m different.
Follow me on social media @pureskinandbodylounge
For more information or to shop: PSBLounge.com
I call this my “magic tool” and it really is magic! I have seen it do some great things and have some great effects on my clients skin. I use it in all my facials because I think that everyone should benefit from the spatula. I could just do it as an “add-on” but people don’t always know what they need or what is best for their skin. I know I certainly didn’t before I started my obsession with skin. 🙂 Here is some more information on the spatula so you know how beneficial it is and can look forward to it when you book your next facial with me!
Skin Spatula utilizes ultrasound technology to gently exfoliate the skin of dead skin cells and impurities. Ultrasound waves help loosen and remove oil, dirt and cellular debris from pores to achieve a noticeable radiant healthy glow. I compare this to an earthquake. It shakes things and brings them up to the surface of the skin.
Skin Spatula is non-abrasive and is safe to use on all skin types such as clients with Rosacea, sensitive, acneic or aged skin. This device makes it easier to achieve a healthier complexion without the redness, swelling and irritation are often associated with microderm treatments.
During treatments, some may hear a high-pitch sound. This is because some people have sensitive hearing and are able to hear higher frequencies than others. The sound occurs because the stainless steel blade is oscillating at such a high frequency. Another source for the sound occurs when the blade is in contact with the skin.
This is a painless treatment with no negative side effects.
When the spatula is turned on the other side, it can be used for deeper penetration for nutrients (stimulating the skins natural collagen fibers will help rebuild the skin tissue). Collagen fibers are what gives the skin its plump look that is seen in youthful skin. Elastin is what gives the skin its elasticity. Both the exfoliating treatment and the product penetration will help stimulate and rebuild these fibers. Anti-aging!
Book a Facial with Me for the UltraSonic Spatula
Eyelash mites are usually harmless, and most people live their day to day lives without being bothered by the fact that a worm-like parasite is currently feeding off his or her oils.
Washing your face every night will keep these from getting out of control. However, they do love mascara, so ladies…make sure to properly remove your makeup at the end of the day!
Will you ever go to bed again with your makeup on??
This might help you figure out some of your breakouts! It’s not always the answer but I find it interesting when it does work. 🙂
I offer free skin care consultations. This is a great way for people to try out my products without investing in a facial when they are on a budget. I will do a skin analysis and ask you a lot of questions. We discuss everything about your skin and then I send you home with samples and a prescription sheet that will guide you in your new routine.
In a perfect world, everyone would get a facial first and then try the samples. The reason I prefer this is that it will allow me to see your skin react immediately to the products I use and gives me the opportunity to deeply cleanse and exfoliate your skin. Plus, all facials include extractions.
Contrary to what some may believe, the steam does not open your pores. Pores are not windows, they do not open and close. What the steam does do is soften the hardened oil in the pore. The trick though, and this is the most important part, is to lock in the moisture the steam has created. If you don’t, once the steam is turned off, the oil dries up and you are back where you started.
I always apply Hyaluronic Acid Serum and a moisturizer to keep the skin hydrated and soft. This is great for the skin but will also make the extractions easier. My clients do not leave red or irritated.
Updated: September 2017
There are so many skin care lines on the market today. I can’t keep track. Just when I think I have heard of everything, a client comes in with another one. This only adds to the confusion of picking the right products for your skin. We are lucky that we have the internet and so much information at our fingertips but who do you believe and trust?
There is not a day that goes by that I don’t learn something new about skin. I read so much about skin care, it is a bit overwhelming sometimes. I love it though. I have been studying skin for about 17 years now and I have learned a lot. Plus, the hands-on experience helps too. I can see what works and what makes sense. When I decided to write a blog, I wanted to be able to provide truth. I am honest with my clients and I am honest here on my blog.
I will always explain why something will and won’t work. I will tell you why you should be using a product because I think it is important to understand the “why.” Purchasing a bunch of products that you read in a magazine doesn’t usually work that well for most. They buy but don’t know why and don’t even know if it is right for their skin. How many products do you have sitting in your bathroom cabinet?
Now I can’t help each person individually (unless you book a consultation) but I can provide you with an honest approach to skin so that you can take the information and purchase the correct products (Skin Script and Le Mieux…hint, hint).
Follow my blog. Find me on Facebook, Instagram (@pureskinandbodylounge), Twitter (@pureskinandbodylounge). Take advantage of these skin care tips and your skin will thank you! 🙂
Updated: September 2017
Every informercial and over-the-counter skin care line has the latest miracle ingredient or product that is going to do it all for you. Get rid of your wrinkles, cure your acne and forever hydrate your skin. That is not reality. Sorry. Even as much as I talk about the miracle that is grape seed oil, if you were using the wrong cleanser, the oil would not work as well or could even backfire on you.
I am often asked about different products from clients and from people on social media. They have a friend who used this great moisturizer and it did “this” and “that” for their skin and they want to know if they should buy it too thinking it will solve their problems. One product will not. It is a combination of everything you use to help your skin that will give you the skin you want.
From the cleanser to the sunscreen, it matters. The toner you use in the middle of your routine may offer wonderful benefits and may help your skin, but that toner alone will not be the answer.
Here are some tips:
- Use the right products for YOUR skin (not your friends!)
- Use the products consistently and correctly
- Be patient. Most of the time you should see an immediate improvement (no matter how small) with a new routine but for a major difference, it will take time.
- Listen to a professional (hopefully that is me!) and ignore your friends. They mean well but it can be difficult to help you if you are taking the advice of several people.
- If you are my client, I am here to help. I will answer your questions and guide you. Switching up your routine or trying something new because it sounded “amazing” can mess up your skin. I’ve seen it happen. Talk to me.
I have blogged about DIY masks and scrubs and warned about the damage they can do to the skin. Now, my amazing skin care line, Skin Script, has written something about it too. I love that they support Estheticians as much as they do! There really is a difference in what you can do at home vs what we can do in the treatment room. Although I do recommend home masks and scrubs from time to time, they in now way replace a good facial or a professional product.
Here is what Skin Script had to say…
The DIY (do-it-yourself) craze has taken the internet by storm, thanks to popular blogs and websites such as Pinterest. With many at homemade concoctions for everything from nail polish remover to peel-away face masks, we decided to compare these at home treatments to professional treatments:
1) Quality Ingredients: DIY home recipes call for easily accessible ingredients that can be found around your home or at a grocery store. For example, fruit acids (such those found in lemons) can actually burn your skin if used incorrectly. Table sugar, salt and even oatmeal can scratch the skin due to sharp edges, causing skin irritation and redness. Professional ingredients are pH balanced and modified so your skin cells will accept the ingredients. Skin Script products are “chirally correct” meaning they are accepted by the skin without irritation and will penetrate further than a DIY avocado/mayonnaise mask would.
2) Tools: Extractions with straight pins, “steaming” your face with a pot of boiling water, or using kitty litter as an at-home microdermabrasion treatment (yikes!) can cause serious harm to your skin. Your Esthetician is trained to use tools (such as extractors, steamers and modalities) in a safe, sanitary and effective way.
3) Experience: Attempting to correct skin issues such as acne, pigmentation, rosacea or wrinkles with at home “kitchen ingredients” is not as effective as the combination of an appropriate homecare regimen and regular treatments with a licensed Esthetician. Your Esthetician is trained to properly recommend treatments and homecare to help you achieve your skin care goals.
The American Academy of Dermatology currently recognizes Salicylic Acid (Beta Acid) as one of the most effective agents available for acne skin by significantly reducing build up of dead skin cells through a gentle exfoliation process. Beta Acid used in conjunction with Le Mieux patent pending ingredient is a potent tool to achieve dramatic clearing of acne lesions and prevent changes within the follicle associated with the acne process.
Are you having trouble with breakouts? Most topical treatments only work on the surface, temporarily getting rid of the problem. You need something that will get under the skin and kill the bacteria and infection so it goes away for good! And, it’s oil soluble, meaning it can dissolve into oil-clogged pores to remove buildup. I love this product because it is effective and easy to use. Great for cystic acne too!