A variety of treatments and products are used to protect skin from environmental hazards and combat fine lines, wrinkles, and a dull, uneven skin tone. Estheticians are also skilled in managing conditions such as acne, rosacea, eczema, and dry skin, to name just a few. Through specialized therapies and remedies, I can help ease the burdens such conditions can cause. Furthermore, skin care treatments are wonderfully relaxing and rejuvenating. If smooth, healthy skin is your goal, I can help you achieve them.
What is a Facial?
A facial gives you clear, well-hydrated, and youthful skin. Basically, it cleans, exfoliates, and nourishes the skin, and specially focuses on addressing a specific or various needs of your skin, like rejuvenation and replenishment of the skin’s lost nutrients, using different skin care products and professional techniques in skin care. When done regularly, a facial actually boosts the effectiveness of your skin care regimen so you are better able to achieve your skin care goal, and helps to maintain your ideal skin condition in a major way.
Who Can Benefit From a Facial?
No matter how sensitive or hard to treat your skin is (or what age), you can still benefit from a facial because any facial can be suited to fit your individual skin care needs. If you have sensitive skin, only gentle cleansing and moisturizing products will be used. If your goal is to clear up your acne, I will guide you toward a facial that will help you achieve that goal. Be sure to communicate clearly with me exactly what you want to get out of your facial, so that I can do my best to accommodate you.
What Can I Expect During My Facial?
Cleansing, skin analysis, exfoliation, massage, extraction of blackheads and other impurities, and application of products targeted to your skin type (dry, oily, combination, sensitive, mature). Some facials involve light massaging of the face and neck to aid in further relaxation and to stimulate blood and oxygen flow to the skin. Hand treatments are also included in selected facials.
What About Home Care?
When you leave my treatment room after a facial, your skin will be glowing, fresh, and hydrated. Some facials might also increase breakouts for a short period afterward, since the skin was stimulated and is now ridding itself of toxins and impurities (this is not very common but can happen). Keep in mind that the more facials you get, the less impurities your skin will contain, which means you will experience fewer breakouts as time goes on. I will give you a “prescription” for a home-care regimen that will include detailed instructions on how to use them and why you should you use them. Education is key! If you are looking for results, it is important to use the proper skin care products for your skin type, at home.
Does it seem like you always get a blemish in the same spot? There is a reason for this…
The pore may be damaged so it keeps getting re-infected. This is especially common for those who pick. (hint, hint) Picking blemishes loosens the lining of the cell and that causes the clogged oil to go deeper into the skin and that creates an inflammatory reaction.
If you use a drying spot treatment (toothpaste and most over-the-counter spot treatments) this will only dry out the surface infection of the skin. The bacteria is still lurking underneath and will eventually come to the surface again.
Interested in getting a facial? Not sure what a facial from me entails? Below is what happens during a regular facial, not a specialty one. I’m breaking it down for you so you can get excited and come in!
1. Let’s talk. I always ask about your skin. What are your concerns and what would you like me to work on. What I see and what you see is not always the same and I want make sure that when you leave, I have addressed YOUR concerns.
2. Cleanse. I use a mild cleanser (steamer is now on) to remove dirt, oil and makeup. This is also when I can access your skin. By look and feel.
3. 2nd Cleanse. I use a stronger cleanser during this step to get the process of lifting dead skin and softening pores started. Sometimes I add a scrub to this step. It depends on what the skin needs.
4. Enzyme. I have a variety to choose from and I make my decision on which one to use based on what you need, want, lifestyle and weather. A stronger enzyme that contains some acids will not necessarily be used during the summer months. They are all effective and help exfoliate the skin. Steamer is turned off after this step.
5. Ultrasonic Spatula. I apply a gel or toner-type solution to the skin to help loosen the dead skin and using the spatula that is activated by ultrasonic sound waves (28,000 vibrations per second), it lifts the dry skin cells off the skin. At the same time, water is being pushed into the skin which allows the new cells to be hydrated. All you feel is a gentle vibration.
6. Hydrating Serum and Moisturizer. Each step prior has been about softening the skin and exfoliating. Once the steamer is turned off, the skin dries up and the pores goes back to normal. They aren’t changing size, they are just tightening, which makes extractions more difficult and painful. The serum keeps the skin hydrated and the moisturizer locks it in. This is a little secret that makes a tremendous difference! I don’t force extractions either. If they are ready, I will get them.
7. Mask. Since I apply two masks, this one is usually anti-bacterial and calming. Your skin can sometimes get a little red from extractions. This mask will calm it down.
8. 2nd Mask. Hydration. Everyone needs it. I have many different masks to choose from but they are all hydrating. Some brighten, whiten or even help with blemishes. I pick one that best suits your skin. During this mask you will get a light neck and shoulder massage.
9. It’s the end. Boo. 😦 Serum, Moisturizer and SPF. If it’s an evening facial, I will ask if you would like me to apply Grape Seed Oil to your skin instead of moisturizer since that is what I recommend for nighttime.
Depending on your skin and needs, I may add or take away steps. Most of the time I add. 😉
This facial is about you. We can talk as little or as much as you want. First-timers often take advantage and ask me a lot of questions. Some just want peace and quiet. It is your time.
When you leave my treatment room, you will have a glow. There are no signs of being tortured, even if you have acne! 🙂