I am very fortunate to have a mentor that has guided me through my career at the beginning. I had known her for a very long time so when I finally decided to go to school to become an Esthetician, she was very supportive and said she would help me. I remember her telling me that it didn’t really matter what school I went to, it was what I learned after that mattered. A little sad, actually. Why aren’t the schools better? I got lucky and had a great teacher but I know others that didn’t so I believe it to be true. Plus, I have learned so much more since I graduated because I pushed myself to do it. The thing with this profession, it’s a lot of self-motivating. I’ve got the drive though because I absolutely love what I do.
I read an article a long time ago that was titled, “9 Secrets Your Esthetician Won’t Tell You.” It always bothered me. In every profession there are people that are dishonest but I felt like that article makes it seem like we are all liars or secretive about our knowledge. I pride myself on being truthful with my clients and to tell them everything I can while I have their attention. That was one of the first things my mentor taught me. She said that it’s important to be honest and if I didn’t know something, say that. I could always get the answer later and tell them instead of making up something.
So I want to go through the list of what was in that article…
- We Can Scar Your Face– I’m not going to do that! I am gentle with my extractions and people do not leave my treatment room with irritated skin. I recently had a new client come in and she told me that she had an Esthetician who only used a needle on her face. She could actually feel the blood dripping down. This infuriated me. It’s exactly why some people are scared to see someone like me. Trust me when I say, I have never ever heard of anything like this before. Yes, I have heard many stories of the years but this is probably the worst.
- You Can Get the Same Results at Home– That just isn’t true. Yes, home care is extremely important but what I do in the treatment room can’t be done on your own. That is the point of you coming to see me. Extractions are one of the most important reasons to see a professional because you simply can’t do these properly on your own.
- You Can Ignore Our Sales Pitches– I do think that the products I retail are great but that doesn’t mean you have to purchase them. Anyone who has come to me, knows that. If you are interested (I do not force it) then I will send you home with a full regimen of samples, including a prescription sheet that tells you exactly what to do at home. I will not leave products for you at the register to guilt you into buying, as I’ve heard happens a lot and I will not call and bug you. When you are ready, you can purchase through me or even online. For me it’s not about sales, it’s about you having great skin. That’s it.
- We Love Popping Pimples, But We Aren’t Taught How to Do It– Definitely not true for me. Not only was I taught in school but my mentor also went into great detail with me. This is why I don’t scar you!
- Never Trust a Zitty Esthetician– This can be true to some degree. We all struggle with our skin and sometimes even Estheticians have problems. If it’s an ongoing situation, I would understand the hesitation but so many things could be going on with them that has nothing to do with them being an Esthetician. I had an issue with my skin about a year ago and it lasted awhile. It wasn’t acne but it was rashy and I was embarrassed about it. My skin is my advertisement but please understand that we also have hormones and that can be out of our control.
- We Know If You’ve Been Picking– Oh yes! And I will definitely call you out on it!!
- You Don’t Actually Need That Peel or Microdermabrasion– I will always recommend what is best for YOU. No exceptions! But everyone always needs something extra. Weather change, travel, hormones, etc. All those things create issues for our skin and going a little deeper is just another way to keep us looking youthful.
- You Won’t See Immediate Results– Not true, for the most part. There are some facials that may require more treatments (and continued home care) for you to see results. I do my best to have my clients loving their skin when they walk out of my treatment room. If anything, your skin should at least look and feel healthier.
- Never Trust an Esthetician with Long Nails– Well, maybe trust is a strong word, but I figured this out on my own while in school. I didn’t understand how anyone could properly do extractions or massage with long nails. That is how you can scar and scratch people! Then, while talking to my mentor one day, she mentioned it. She told me that I should never trust another Esthetician that has long nails. She, of course, wasn’t being serious about the word trust either, but she was right about the nails.
I am thankful for my mentor. She has helped me so much to get me where I am now. “Be better than Betty” is what she always tells me and I strive for that everyday. And now I am so lucky because I get to work next to her and since I’ve been doing this awhile, we now get to exchange ideas and product recommendations. It’s fun!
Come see me and I’ll show you why I’m different.
Follow me on social media @pureskinandbodylounge
For more information or to shop: PSBLounge.com