I’ve said this a lot but I think it’s important to repeat. I had a client come in the other day and I could tell she wore Tinted Moisturizer. This isn’t something I should be able to guess when the client comes in with “clean” skin. Here is the trick to wearing this…
Always, Always apply your regular moisturizer first! Yep, it’s that simple! Make sure it dries and then apply the Tinted Moisturizer. Now the tint won’t get stuck in your pores or any dry patches you might have on your face. It will also give you a more even application.
It costs a lot of money to look this cheap! -Dolly Parton
1. Invest in some high quality makeup brushes. I don’t always believe that more expensive means better but it is usually true with brushes. The ones that you are getting at Target simply are not the same as the ones at Nordstrom. Sorry. 😦 The good news is that if you take care of these, they will last you a very, very long time. So at least you are getting your money’s worth.
2. Makeup will never look good on dirty, un-exfoliated skin. Take care of the canvas and your makeup will look so much better! Come see me if it’s been awhile since your last facial. You will be amazed at the difference.
3. Apply lip balm prior to makeup application so your lips will be ready for your lip gloss, lip pencil or whatever you are using.
4. Lips and Cheeks should work in harmony.
5. Eyes- Think color theory! Going with colors that are the opposite of your eye color will bring out your eyes.
6. Shadows have always been the most flattering to fill in your eyebrows but now they have brush on colors and I love them. Black is too harsh for everyone! If you apply the eyeshadow color against the hair, it will stick to the skin and last longer.
7. Eyeliner is to help eyelashes look thicker. Avoid liner on the lower lids as this can age you and force peoples eye to look lower. You always want them to look up…top of your face. Imagine it or do it on a friend. It makes a difference. Sometimes you can use it if you’re going for a certain look or if you have the eye shape for it.
8. Blush- It should be the color you naturally blush. No one blushes orange!!
9. Do not confuse bronzer with contour. Most often bronzer has shimmer in it. Contour is to help shape your face and shimmer will add attention to that area. Bronzer mimics where the sun would hit your face. Orange is not a bronzer or a contour color!!
10. Your lip color should not match your outfit. It should go in harmony (as I said above) with your cheek color and also your skin.
Have fun with your makeup but always look your age!
Nothing ages someone more than trying too hard to look young!!
Summer is almost officially here (yay!) and that usually means less makeup for everyone. I have put together some easy tips to make you look and feel beautiful without having to wear a lot of makeup. More of a natural look is great for summertime and remember, the better your skin looks, the better YOU look! Take care of your skin first and your makeup will look amazing. 🙂
1. Tinted Moisturizer. Keep it light and simple. Click here to read my blog on how to make your own.
2. Bronzer– This is a good way to enhance your natural tan or to give yourself that “natural tan.” It’s best to use one without shimmer though since no one actually gets shimmery when they tan. 🙂 Focus on the apples of your cheeks, right above your cheekbones, forehead and chin. Try to find a liquid bronzer because powder can be drying to the skin.
3. Blush– Add a little bit of pink to your cheeks for a rosy hue. Cream blush is best as it will last longer and look more natural.
4. Mascara– A must for everyday as far as I’m concerned! In the summer though, if you know you will be around the ocean or pool (river, lake, etc) then you can wear a clear mascara so you don’t risk the color running down your face or smudging. And don’t forget to curl your lashes. It opens your eyes and makes a big difference! Shiseido and Shu Uemera eyelash curlers are my faves.
5. Lip Gloss– Another must-have for summer! Something that will add some color to your lips without the heavy look of lipstick. A lip stain would work as well and last longer.
6. SPF– And, most importantly, don’t forget your sunscreen!! SPF 30 is the highest you need.