So you spent a little too much time in the sun and forgot to reapply and now you’re fried! Yes, it is a little painful but there are ways to alleviate the pain and the actual burn a little quicker than just waiting. Here they are…
1. O2 Calming Gel– I love this even more than Aloe Vera. It’s soothing and works for so may things, including sunburns.
2. Honey– If you have been reading my blogs, you know I love honey for the skin! According to research, it helps heal wounds, and applying some to your sunburn can encourage the growth of new skin cells. It also has a lot of antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Milk Bath– It has anti-inflammatory properties that help heal a sunburn. I find this one to be quite effective.
4. Cortisone Cream– Use this if it is swelling and really painful.
5. Drink Water– Staying hydrated is important because this burn is very dehydrating.
6. Grape Seed Oil– Another one of my favorites! I like to use this instead of lotion because this will penetrate the skin and actually moisturize whereas a lotion will just sit on the surface. This really works!!!
What to Avoid
1. Hot Water– Super drying to the skin.
2. Abrasive/Harsh Soaps– Your skin needs TLC so if you must cleanse, use a moisturizing cleanser so you aren’t stripping your skin.
3. Perfumes/Colognes– The chemicals can irritate the skin.
4. Lotions/Heavy Creams/Vaseline– As I mentioned above, the lotion sits on the surface and this can trap the heat in and actually slow down the healing and promote peeling. Please avoid!