Updated: March 2018
We are nearing the end of cold/flu season…hopefully. And this got me thinking. Just because we are sick, doesn’t mean we have to look it, right? Here are some tips to stay looking fresh and healthy.
1. Drink lots of fluids- That’s an easy one. Water is your best bet. Staying hydrated is most important. And while water is the least efficient way to hydrate your skin, it is still important for the body.
2. Don’t lick your lips. Keep a lip balm close by so you grab that every time you feel your lips getting dry. (My favorite is Burts Bees Lip Balm) The more you lick, the drier your lips get.
3. Use tissue that is unscented. The fragrances that are added can be irritating to your nose. Choose one with moisturizing properties for extra-softness but just make sure it is non-scented.
4. Wash Your Face- I know when you’re sick, the last thing you care about is your skin or showering but this is so important. Our skin gets so dry from all the medications and just from being sick, that washing your face, at least once a day (twice is better!), is vital. Keep it well moisturized too. You can skip exfoliation while you are sick. It can sometimes cause your skin to get more dry.
5. Grape Seed Oil– Keep this with you if you can. Apply it throughout the day on your nose. This will save your nose from dryness, irritation and flakiness.
6. To ease nostril irritation, apply vaseline or Neosporin. Using a Q-Tip, roll it around the inner part of your nostril. It will feel so much better and look less irritated.
7. If you must leave the house, and most of us have to these days when we are sick, use liquid foundation instead of powder. The powder can make your skin look super dry, especially around the nose area.