Million dollar question, right? Sometimes acne can simply be caused by using the wrong products or not washing your skin at all. If this is the case, improving your skin will be much easier. Unfortunately, if your acne is hormonal then it will be much more difficult. We can usually improve the clarity, frequency and intensity though. Here are some tips…
1. Be consistent. Cleanse your skin every night and every morning.
2. Use products that are right for your skin and that will balance out the oil without dehydrating. Most OTC (over-the-counter, NOT professional) acne products take everything out of your skin and don’t replenish it. This can make things worse and/or cause you to age quicker.
3. Use Grapeseed Oil. This will hydrate your skin and balance the oil. Read here for al the benefits. My clients use and love this! It really does work. Cleanse, tone and apply oil. If you are using serums, apply those first and then the oil. A little goes a long way.
4. Keep your pillowcase clean. Even though you are washing your face every night, this is still important. If have a more severe case, then you should be changing/washing it at least every week.
5. Use alcohol to clean your phones and sunglasses. Bacteria spreads very easily.
6. Don’t touch or pick at your face.
7. Get regular facials. Having an expert (like me!) do extractions helps. It’s better than you doing it and healthier for your skin.
8. Dairy can aggravate acne in some people. Give it up for 6-12 weeks to see if there is any significant improvement.
9. Drink lots and lots of water.
10. Make sure you aren’t using any pore clogging makeup. Heavy or thick foundations are not good for the skin. Try not reapply as the day goes on.
11. Wash your makeup brushes. You should wash them with baby shampoo at least twice a month and using a brush cleaner every single day. Of course, this is for people that wear makeup everyday. Adjust if necessary but those are the guidelines. Don’t reuse sponges and don’t use powder puffs.
12. Get a physical exfoliant like a sponge because it’s gentle.
13. Wear SPF because you should anyway but also because sometimes the sun can darken the blemishes and leave your skin with scars and hyper pigmentation.
14. Salicylic Acid should be in your products. This is dehydrating so remember to use other products that will replenish water loss. (see #3)
15. Be gentle. You don’t have to scrub hard or a lot to get results. Hopefully you are using effective products so that they can do all the work for you.
16. Have patience and know that it will not go away in a day or even a week. Avoid buying anything that tells you differently.
18. Book a consultation and/or facial with me. I can help! Book Here!!
Shop Acne Products:
Tomorrow- Products to Avoid and Why
Have you heard about this new tool? I’m in love! I did a lot of research on this before I decided to purchase because it sounded too good to be true. I finally gave in and thought I would try it out for myself to see what the hype was about. Of course, my family are my guinea pigs…
Mom- She had this thing on her nose for so many years, she was convinced it was just part of her nose. After just one session with the spatula, the “thing” started erupting (for lack of a better word). Since then, I have used it one more time and it is almost gone!
Dad- He has very dry skin and is constantly scratching his back. He uses walls and posts like a cat and it was always a family joke. One back facial with the spatula and he is itch-free. It has been 4 days and still nothing. He can’t believe it!
Sister- Her skin is pretty clear but we decided to try it to see what would happen. The next day, I asked her what she thought and she realized that she wasn’t wearing any concealer (she always wears makeup) because she didn’t need it. She said her skin looked much more even!
Push out impurities and clear away excess oil with the sonic vibration of the Skin Spatula. As the skin cells vibrate, the tissue and pores become softened, extracting environmental toxins, oil and makeup. On the flip side, the spatula aids in the absorption of water or gel-based skin products with the same sonic push, giving you double action in one tool. The energy of the ultrasonic waves brightens and evens skin tone while providing long lasting results and radiant skin, all for just minutes a day.
• Vibrating ultrasonic waves exfoliate dead skin & extract dirt and oil from clogged pores
• Hydrates new cells
• Spatula shaped tip can be used to penetrate serums & gels for better efficacy
This spatula is used with EVERY* facial!
*excluding express and teen facials
A variety of treatments and products are used to protect skin from environmental hazards and combat fine lines, wrinkles, and a dull, uneven skin tone. Estheticians are also skilled in managing conditions such as acne, rosacea, eczema, and dry skin, to name just a few. Through specialized therapies and remedies, I can help ease the burdens such conditions can cause. Furthermore, skin care treatments are wonderfully relaxing and rejuvenating. If smooth, healthy skin is your goal, I can help you achieve them.
What is a Facial?
A facial gives you clear, well-hydrated, and youthful skin. Basically, it cleans, exfoliates, and nourishes the skin, and specially focuses on addressing a specific or various needs of your skin, like rejuvenation and replenishment of the skin’s lost nutrients, using different skin care products and professional techniques in skin care. When done regularly, a facial actually boosts the effectiveness of your skin care regimen so you are better able to achieve your skin care goal, and helps to maintain your ideal skin condition in a major way.
Who Can Benefit From a Facial?
No matter how sensitive or hard to treat your skin is (or what age), you can still benefit from a facial because any facial can be suited to fit your individual skin care needs. If you have sensitive skin, only gentle cleansing and moisturizing products will be used. If your goal is to clear up your acne, I will guide you toward a facial that will help you achieve that goal. Be sure to communicate clearly with me exactly what you want to get out of your facial, so that I can do my best to accommodate you.
What Can I Expect During My Facial?
Cleansing, skin analysis, exfoliation, massage, extraction of blackheads and other impurities, and application of products targeted to your skin type (dry, oily, combination, sensitive, mature). Some facials involve light massaging of the face and neck to aid in further relaxation and to stimulate blood and oxygen flow to the skin. Hand treatments are also included in selected facials.
What About Home Care?
When you leave my treatment room after a facial, your skin will be glowing, fresh, and hydrated. Some facials might also increase breakouts for a short period afterward, since the skin was stimulated and is now ridding itself of toxins and impurities (this is not very common but can happen). Keep in mind that the more facials you get, the less impurities your skin will contain, which means you will experience fewer breakouts as time goes on. I will give you a “prescription” for a home-care regimen that will include detailed instructions on how to use them and why you should you use them. Education is key! If you are looking for results, it is important to use the proper skin care products for your skin type, at home.
Are you using vitamin C on your skin? It really can do wonders and make a big difference. I think it’s important to use a Vitamin C serum daily but I have developed a new facial that is all about infusing it into your skin.
One of the most powerful functions of Vitamin C is it’s role in the production of collagen. As you age, collagen breaks down and wrinkles begin to form. Stabilizing your skin’s levels of Vitamin C can help to counteract wrinkle formation by increasing collagen production.
Age spots are essentially sun damage, and Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant, shown to reduce the number of sunburned cells as well as reverse age-related damage to the skin. It does not replace sunscreen, but protects Vitamin C protects against and may repair UV damage, like discoloration and fine lines.
Contrary to what some may believe, the steam does not open your pores. Pores are not windows, they do not open and close. What the steam does do is soften the hardened oil in the pore. The trick though, and this is the most important part, is to lock in the moisture the steam has created. If you don’t, once the steam is turned off, the oil dries up and you are back where you started.
I always apply Hyaluronic Acid Serum and a moisturizer to keep the skin hydrated and soft. This is great for the skin but will also make the extractions easier. My clients do not leave red or irritated.
I have been experimenting with this mask and I cannot believe the results! When I remove the mask from each client, their skin is brighter, clearer and much less irritated. Le Mieux has done it again! Their products are amazing and effective.
Bonus! This mask is safe for pregnant women! I know a lot of women battle with their skin during pregnancy and are limited in what can be used on the skin so this is the PERFECT facial and mask to help heal and clear the skin.
The last few months have been rough for our gentle Orange County skin. We aren’t used to winters like this and it has left our skin, dry, parched, irritated, red and chapped. I’ve seen it on a daily basis with my clients. So, what can you do about it?
First, you want to look at what you can do to prevent moisture loss from your skin. Hot showers, harsh cleansers, and products with alcohol and retinoid creams. Of course, alcoholic and caffeinated beverages have a dehydrated effect on the body as well. Medications can be the culprit too but those can’t always be avoided.
Cut back as much as you can on drying ingredients. Switch to cream cleansers, which do not strip the skin of its natural oils. Instead of using your retinoid cream every night, use it every other night or twice a week. You will still get results and you can put a hydrating cream (or Grapeseed Oil!) on top to prevent flaking.
I have been suggesting grapeseed oil to all my clients to use at night as their nightly moisturizer. Cleanse, tone and then apply the oil. It does wonders for the skin and I have already seen a difference in my clients. Not only does it help with dryness but also has antioxidants, helps protect collagen, improves the production of elastin and hyaluronic acid and when used daily and consistently, can help brighten and even skin tone.
Weekly masks are another way to keep your skin hydrated. Honey is a great moisturizer and everyone can use it (unless you’re allergic!). Mix 1 teaspoon honey and 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil and apply to your face for 10 minutes. For those of you with oily or acneic skin, it can help with unclogging pores, drawing out impurities and killing bacteria, which cause acne. Manuka Honey (from New Zealand) is best for acne. Leave on your skin for about 10 minutes.
Interested in getting a facial? Not sure what a facial from me entails? Below is what happens during a regular facial, not a specialty one. I’m breaking it down for you so you can get excited and come in!
1. Let’s talk. I always ask about your skin. What are your concerns and what would you like me to work on. What I see and what you see is not always the same and I want make sure that when you leave, I have addressed YOUR concerns.
2. Cleanse. I use a mild cleanser (steamer is now on) to remove dirt, oil and makeup. This is also when I can access your skin. By look and feel.
3. 2nd Cleanse. I use a stronger cleanser during this step to get the process of lifting dead skin and softening pores started. Sometimes I add a scrub to this step. It depends on what the skin needs.
4. Enzyme. I have a variety to choose from and I make my decision on which one to use based on what you need, want, lifestyle and weather. A stronger enzyme that contains some acids will not necessarily be used during the summer months. They are all effective and help exfoliate the skin. Steamer is turned off after this step.
5. Ultrasonic Spatula. I apply a gel or toner-type solution to the skin to help loosen the dead skin and using the spatula that is activated by ultrasonic sound waves (28,000 vibrations per second), it lifts the dry skin cells off the skin. At the same time, water is being pushed into the skin which allows the new cells to be hydrated. All you feel is a gentle vibration.
6. Hydrating Serum and Moisturizer. Each step prior has been about softening the skin and exfoliating. Once the steamer is turned off, the skin dries up and the pores goes back to normal. They aren’t changing size, they are just tightening, which makes extractions more difficult and painful. The serum keeps the skin hydrated and the moisturizer locks it in. This is a little secret that makes a tremendous difference! I don’t force extractions either. If they are ready, I will get them.
7. Mask. Since I apply two masks, this one is usually anti-bacterial and calming. Your skin can sometimes get a little red from extractions. This mask will calm it down.
8. 2nd Mask. Hydration. Everyone needs it. I have many different masks to choose from but they are all hydrating. Some brighten, whiten or even help with blemishes. I pick one that best suits your skin. During this mask you will get a light neck and shoulder massage.
9. It’s the end. Boo. 😦 Serum, Moisturizer and SPF. If it’s an evening facial, I will ask if you would like me to apply Grape Seed Oil to your skin instead of moisturizer since that is what I recommend for nighttime.
Depending on your skin and needs, I may add or take away steps. Most of the time I add. 😉
This facial is about you. We can talk as little or as much as you want. First-timers often take advantage and ask me a lot of questions. Some just want peace and quiet. It is your time.
When you leave my treatment room, you will have a glow. There are no signs of being tortured, even if you have acne! 🙂
Most people will make New Year’s resolutions for their life. What about your skin though? Often forgotten but our face is what people see first. Don’t you want to make a great impression every day?
I’ve made it easy for you this year. Here are some skin resolutions that you can make that will make a difference. Start today!