Pure Skin Talk covers acne to anti-aging and everything in between. These are short and easy to listen to episodes. They are not product specific so everyone can benefit! Sometimes specials are even offered to the online store and if you are local to Orange County for facials!!
Shopping, parties, family in town, traveling, etc. There are so many things going on this time of year that sometimes we neglect ourselves and that means, our skin. I’ve compiled a short list of things to remember to save your skin so you don’t have to play catch up in January. It’s bad enough the credit card bills come piling in, do we also need the wrinkles and dry skin?
1. Wear Your Sunscreen– Even though the sun is gone, we still need to be aware of the UVA rays that are present year round. These are the rays that can cause skin cancer and premature aging.
2. If you’re stressed out, your skin will show it. I know that being “stress free” isn’t always an option but it’s important to take a time-out every once in a while. Go do some yoga, get a pedicure, a facial (call me!) or just relax by the fire. We all know these things but we need to be reminded.
3. Manicures- All your running around at the malls and cooking are going to wreak havoc on your hands and nails. Mix any oil (olive, jojoba, grapeseed) with a lotion or apply by itself for extra hydration. If you haven’t already, try a Gel manicure. I love them! Lasts about 2-3 weeks and the best part, at least for me, you don’t have to wait for them to dry! Chipping isn’t really an issue either. It happens but it is pretty rare. A little more expensive than a regular manicure but just think what your sanity is worth. 🙂
4. Chapped Lips- This is when you need a Lip BALM, not a chapstick. A balm will heal your lips and a chapstick will protect your lips. Burt’s Bees is my absolute favorite.
5. Sore Feet- Peppermint is the answer. You can find it in scrubs and lotions and it will make your feet feel fantastic! Peppermint is also great for headaches. I use an inexpensive peppermint oil and put it where the headache is and most often I won’t have to take medicine.
6. Dry Skin- How many times can I talk about this during this time of year? I think it makes it in every blog post! Did you know that people with dry skin tend to age faster than those with oily skin? Yep, there is an advantage to oily skin. 🙂 Keep your skin hydrated and not just your face. I’m obsessed with grapeseed oil so that is my go-to oil. Just make sure you use it consistently. Those heaters can dry out our skin and make things worse. Add a humidifier to your bedroom and turn it on at night. That can help keep the skin hydrated, especially if you turn on the heater.
7. Makeup- Keep it light and dewy and wash your face every night!
Follow me on Social Media:
If you live in Orange County, Ca, please come visit me for a facial!
I have not oversold these with that title! I love these sponges! I’ve often said how sensitive my skin is so that means I have to be super careful with how I care for it and especially how I exfoliate it. Scrubs don’t work with my skin. They irritate it. Washcloths, even baby washcloths don’t work either. I can use these sponges every other night and my skin has seriously never been softer.
They have different ones for the face and the body and for different skin types. Easy to take care of and easy to use. I am even finding myself recommending these to some of my clients instead of a scrub. If I can save you money but still give you amazing skin, I will!
Give Yourself a Mini Facial
Simple, effective, deep cleansing & pure. All of our Facial and Body Sponges are Eco friendly, 100% natural and made from pure edible vegetable roots.The Konjac Sponge is as soft as butter, full of yummy skin friendly goodness! It cleanses the skin like nothing you ever experienced before, leaving the face clean, glowing and silky smooth.
100% Natural vegetable Fibre
Naturally Deep Cleansing
Removes Water based Make-Up
Suitable for Daily Use
100% Colouring Free
Soft & Gentle
Kind to You & Kind to the Environment
Million dollar question, right? Sometimes acne can simply be caused by using the wrong products or not washing your skin at all. If this is the case, improving your skin will be much easier. Unfortunately, if your acne is hormonal then it will be much more difficult. We can usually improve the clarity, frequency and intensity though. Here are some tips…
1. Be consistent. Cleanse your skin every night and every morning.
2. Use products that are right for your skin and that will balance out the oil without dehydrating. Most OTC (over-the-counter, NOT professional) acne products take everything out of your skin and don’t replenish it. This can make things worse and/or cause you to age quicker.
3. Use Grapeseed Oil. This will hydrate your skin and balance the oil. Read here for al the benefits. My clients use and love this! It really does work. Cleanse, tone and apply oil. If you are using serums, apply those first and then the oil. A little goes a long way.
4. Keep your pillowcase clean. Even though you are washing your face every night, this is still important. If have a more severe case, then you should be changing/washing it at least every week.
5. Use alcohol to clean your phones and sunglasses. Bacteria spreads very easily.
6. Don’t touch or pick at your face.
7. Get regular facials. Having an expert (like me!) do extractions helps. It’s better than you doing it and healthier for your skin.
8. Dairy can aggravate acne in some people. Give it up for 6-12 weeks to see if there is any significant improvement.
9. Drink lots and lots of water.
10. Make sure you aren’t using any pore clogging makeup. Heavy or thick foundations are not good for the skin. Try not reapply as the day goes on.
11. Wash your makeup brushes. You should wash them with baby shampoo at least twice a month and using a brush cleaner every single day. Of course, this is for people that wear makeup everyday. Adjust if necessary but those are the guidelines. Don’t reuse sponges and don’t use powder puffs.
12. Get a physical exfoliant like a sponge because it’s gentle.
13. Wear SPF because you should anyway but also because sometimes the sun can darken the blemishes and leave your skin with scars and hyper pigmentation.
14. Salicylic Acid should be in your products. This is dehydrating so remember to use other products that will replenish water loss. (see #3)
15. Be gentle. You don’t have to scrub hard or a lot to get results. Hopefully you are using effective products so that they can do all the work for you.
16. Have patience and know that it will not go away in a day or even a week. Avoid buying anything that tells you differently.
18. Book a consultation and/or facial with me. I can help! Book Here!!
Shop Acne Products:
Tomorrow- Products to Avoid and Why
1. Your foundation should match your face and your neck. Since your neck is often a different color than your face, blend your foundation down so there is an illusion of flawlessness.
2. French Manicures- It’s important to change up your look to keep you looking young and fresh. So if you’ve been wearing that french manicure since the prom, it might be time to give it up.
3. Your lip liner should never be visible, should you decide you even need to wear it. Most of time you can skip this step though.
4. Public grooming is a definite no-no! I remember walking into a Sears outlet one time and the sales guy was cutting his fingernails in the middle of all the washers and dryers. Not a joke. So gross. Some things need to be done at home! This includes brushing your hair. Keep this at home or in the bathroom. It always surprises me when I see people brushing their hair in a restaurant.
5. Bronzer is supposed to make you look sun-kissed, not look like you got smacked in the face with the sun. 🙂 A little goes a long way. Orange is not a bronzer.
6. My mom always taught me to never leave the house with a chipped manicure or pedicure and I have followed that rule. I admit that I haven’t listened to everything mom has said but this seemed like a good one.
7. Over-tanning is dangerous. Tanning is dangerous. Bad for aging, bad for your health. Skip it and get a spray tan instead.
8. Mascara should not be clumpy or flaky. Applying 3-4 coats does not make your lashes look better, it makes them look messy. Find a good mascara that you can use with 1-2 coats. Tammy Faye Baker did not have the right idea! Do the opposite!!
I was reading some beauty myths and I wanted to share them with you. One made me mad, frustrated and confused. The other made me laugh.
1. Putting Vaseline on your face nightly will prevent wrinkles– I agree that this is not true. The part that made me mad, frustrated and confused was what the dermatologist said, “Petroleum jelly is the strongest moisturizer there is because it forces oils into the skin and prevents them from evaporating.” He needed to elaborate on this. If you have oily skin, this may work for you but what about those of us with dry skin? I don’t have any oil in my skin so this would be absolutely useless on my face. At least the article mentioned the potential for breakouts that Vaseline can cause. I would not recommend this for anyone!
Often, not enough information is given, so people end up doing the wrong things for their skin.
2. Preparation H deflates puffiness– This made me laugh. Apparently the ingredient in the product that used to help us with this is no longer available in the U.S. version. They reformulated it in 1994! So basically all it will do now is dry out your skin and inflame your skin. Stay away from it!! 🙂
I’ve said this a lot but I think it’s important to repeat. I had a client come in the other day and I could tell she wore Tinted Moisturizer. This isn’t something I should be able to guess when the client comes in with “clean” skin. Here is the trick to wearing this…
Always, Always apply your regular moisturizer first! Yep, it’s that simple! Make sure it dries and then apply the Tinted Moisturizer. Now the tint won’t get stuck in your pores or any dry patches you might have on your face. It will also give you a more even application.
This is an amazing ingredient that we naturally produce in our skin so when we use it, our skin doesn’t see it as foreign and easily accepts it and everyone can benefit from it. The fact that it plumps and softens the skin is why all the skin care and cosmetic companies are putting it in all their products. It’s also a key component in several injectable wrinkle fillers.
When you apply it to the skin, like in a serum or moisturizer, it helps to bind moisture to the skin as well as pull moisture from the air and is said to hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water.
I’d love to say that this will eliminate fine lines and wrinkles but this blog (and what I do) is about honesty. What it can do for you when applied topically is form a barrier on the skin and give a soft moisturizing effect that makes skin smoother. That’s good enough for me!
I had a 1st time client the other day tell me that she started using a hyaluronic acid serum because her friend recommended it but she wasn’t sure why it was beneficial. I told her what it was doing for her and she said that had noticed her skin was more supple and that she had actually been getting compliments about the appearance of it. She is a woman in her 60’s and has been using it for about a month and already noticed a difference.
I started using Skin Script earlier this year and hyaluronic acid is in 2 of the products I use. Shortly after, I added 3 Le Mieux serums to my routine, 1 of them being just hyaluronic (featured above). My skin has completely changed. I have always suffered with really dry skin and every time I waxed, my face showed it for days. Now, even in the winter, no one knows. I don’t have that tight, dry feeling anymore.
Bottom line…I love it and everyone one should be using it! Dry, oily, acneic, in your 20’s, in your 60’s, it doesn’t matter.
For more information or to purchase:
It costs a lot of money to look this cheap! -Dolly Parton
1. Invest in some high quality makeup brushes. I don’t always believe that more expensive means better but it is usually true with brushes. The ones that you are getting at Target simply are not the same as the ones at Nordstrom. Sorry. 😦 The good news is that if you take care of these, they will last you a very, very long time. So at least you are getting your money’s worth.
2. Makeup will never look good on dirty, un-exfoliated skin. Take care of the canvas and your makeup will look so much better! Come see me if it’s been awhile since your last facial. You will be amazed at the difference.
3. Apply lip balm prior to makeup application so your lips will be ready for your lip gloss, lip pencil or whatever you are using.
4. Lips and Cheeks should work in harmony.
5. Eyes- Think color theory! Going with colors that are the opposite of your eye color will bring out your eyes.
6. Shadows have always been the most flattering to fill in your eyebrows but now they have brush on colors and I love them. Black is too harsh for everyone! If you apply the eyeshadow color against the hair, it will stick to the skin and last longer.
7. Eyeliner is to help eyelashes look thicker. Avoid liner on the lower lids as this can age you and force peoples eye to look lower. You always want them to look up…top of your face. Imagine it or do it on a friend. It makes a difference. Sometimes you can use it if you’re going for a certain look or if you have the eye shape for it.
8. Blush- It should be the color you naturally blush. No one blushes orange!!
9. Do not confuse bronzer with contour. Most often bronzer has shimmer in it. Contour is to help shape your face and shimmer will add attention to that area. Bronzer mimics where the sun would hit your face. Orange is not a bronzer or a contour color!!
10. Your lip color should not match your outfit. It should go in harmony (as I said above) with your cheek color and also your skin.
Have fun with your makeup but always look your age!
Nothing ages someone more than trying too hard to look young!!