When I went to Empire Academy of Makeup (best school ever!) many, many years ago, the first thing we learned was that if our skin didn’t look good then our makeup wouldn’t look good. In fact, the first course concentrated on skin so much that I fell in love with it and that is how I got started with skin care.
I’ve learned a lot along the way and things have definitely changed but one thing that always remains consistent is: your skin needs hydration and most people are dehydrated.
If you have dry skin, you most likely need oil and water in your skin. When you wear makeup, powders can age you and accentuate fine lines and wrinkles. And, of course, make you drier.
If you have oily skin, you have too much oil and not enough water. When you wear makeup, it feels like you need to re-apply often and you may be flaky in some areas.
Both of these issues can get better by properly hydrating your skin. A Hyaluronic Acid Serum is the best way to do this. It binds moisture to your skin and draws moisture in.
There are so many skin care lines on the market today. I can’t keep track. Just when I think I have heard of everything, a client comes in with another one. This only adds to the confusion of picking the right products for your skin. We are lucky that we have the internet and so much information at our fingertips but who do you believe and trust?
There is not a day that goes by that I don’t learn something new about skin. I read so much about skin care, it is a bit overwhelming sometimes. I love it though. I have been studying skin for about 17 years now and I have learned a lot. Plus, the hands-on experience helps too. I can see what works and what makes sense. When I decided to write a blog, I wanted to be able to provide truth. I am honest with my clients and I am honest here on my blog.
I will always explain why something will and won’t work. I will tell you why you should be using a product because I think it is important to understand the “why.” Purchasing a bunch of products that you read in a magazine doesn’t usually work that well for most. They buy but don’t know why and don’t even know if it is right for their skin. How many products do you have sitting in your bathroom cabinet?
Now I can’t help each person individually (unless you book a consultation) but I can provide you with an honest approach to skin so that you can take the information and purchase the correct products (Skin Script and Le Mieux…hint, hint).
Follow my blog. Find me on Facebook, Instagram (@pureskinandbodylounge), Twitter (@pureskinandbodylounge). Take advantage of these skin care tips and your skin will thank you! 🙂
I get asked about these all the time and I know these are quite popular especially for those of you that have late nights. They are easier and at least you aren’t going to bed with makeup and your whole day on your face, right? Wrong. Kind of. 🙂
For the most part, I would prefer you not to use these. There are so many varieties and most are not good for your skin. I simply cannot try every towelette and read all the ingredients to determine which are acceptable and which are not. However, I will give you a couple to use and some to absolutely stay away from completely.
A lot of these contain alcohol so they are super drying to the skin. Then you have the ones that have a lot of fragrance and that can irritate the skin and since you are not washing after, the ones that can be hydrating may leave a film on your skin.
If you have oily or acne-prone skin, I would run from these towelettes. I haven’t seen any that are good for your skin types yet. In fact, the only skin type that can really tolerate these, generally speaking, are those with dry skin. As always, there are exceptions to the rules but do you want to find out if you are that exception? You only have 1 face! The more you irritate it, even if you don’t see it now, can cause damage down the road and make you age faster. Now I know you don’t want that!!
That being said, here are my recommendations, as promised, for the good and the bad towelettes…
Good– Neutrogena has 2- Night Calming and Hydrating Towelettes; most brands that are for dry skin will probably be ok because they will have way less alcohol and fragrance in them. This is still not a recommendation to use.
Bad– Olay Facial Cloths for Combination/Oily; as I said above, most brands for oily and acne-prone skin will not be good for the skin. Avoid!
Cleansing your face properly is the best way to keep your skin clean, postpone aging and stay hydrated. If you find yourself using these, try to keep it to “every once in a while, only when you need to” situations. Your skin will thank you! (and you’ll thank me when all you friends are jealous of how great you look! 😉 )
1. Be gentle with your skin. You’re in a hurry, I know, but rubbing and pulling vigorously will only age your skin and damage capillaries.
2. Try to stay away from fragrances. It doesn’t matter what skin type you have, fragrances are usually not good for the skin. They smell nice but can do long-term damage, like break down collagen and elastin. If you have sensitive skin, it can do a lot more, like give you a rash or make you itch.
3. Don’t skip the moisturizer. I talk to clients all the time with oily skin that are afraid of moisturizer. This product is your friend. I promise. Finding the right one is key. Moisturizer doesn’t penetrate the skin and it will protect you from everything coming at you all day…sun, pollution, smoke, makeup, etc. Your skin needs that barrier.
4. Wash your face every morning and every night. Be consistent with your products.
5. Wear sunscreen, rain or shine. No higher than SPF 30 is necessary.
1.I don’t need to wear an SPF during the winter months or when there is no sun. This is simply not true. UVA means Ultra Violet Aging and those are visible 365 days a year. Protect your skin and always wear it. Even if you are indoors. The sun can penetrate through windows and over time, do more damage than you think.
2.SPF in my makeup is enough. Nope, sorry. 😦 You need seven times the normal amount of foundation and 14 times the normal amount of powder to get the sun protection factor on the label. I really hope you aren’t going to apply that much makeup!
3. Applying once a day is enough. If you are not in the direct sun AT ALL, then this is probably okay for you. Otherwise you need to re-apply every 1-2 hours. More if you are prone to burn. As soon as you are in the sun, the sunscreen starts to breakdown.
4. I put sunscreen on all the obvious areas so I’m good. What about the back of your neck? Ears? Top of your hands? These areas are often neglected but definitely exposed to sun. Skin cancer and skin damage can be anywhere!
5. Lotions, sprays and sticks all work differently. Not really. My advice is to start with a lotion (stick for the face if you want) and get a good base. When you reapply, a spray should be fine once. Then, use a lotion again. I love the convenience of a spray but it is very easy to miss spots.
6. Expiration dates don’t mean anything. YES THEY DO! If it is expired, STOP using it. No exceptions.
7. A tan is fine as long as I don’t burn. You are still damaging your skin. That is what a tan actually is.
8. My umbrella is enough protection so I don’t need sunscreen. Please don’t believe this! Did you know that sand reflects 17% of UV radiation. That means you are still exposed. It is still important to stay in the shade but wear your sunscreen.
9. The sun always cures my acne (or breakouts). This is a BIG myth. It can be a (very) temporary solution (the sun does kill bacteria) but in reality it causes a buildup of dead skin which leads to clogged pores. And, if you have oily skin, the sun will dry you out, producing even more oil. Viscous cycle.
10. I use SPF100 so I am fully protecting my skin. That isn’t even going to be available anymore because you get 96% protection with SPF30. Anything higher may give you a 4% increase but it will definitely give you more chemicals.
11.The damage is done so it doesn’t matter anymore. It always matters! Wear sunscreen at every age!
This doesn’t happen very often but today and today only, 10% off the entire online store! Everything on the Pure Skin website is on sale. Stock up for back to school, end of summer or because you have been wanting to try these products.
I LOVE all the products but these are the top 10 best selling items…
I have not oversold these with that title! I love these sponges! I’ve often said how sensitive my skin is so that means I have to be super careful with how I care for it and especially how I exfoliate it. Scrubs don’t work with my skin. They irritate it. Washcloths, even baby washcloths don’t work either. I can use these sponges every other night and my skin has seriously never been softer.
Straight from the U.K., do not accept the substitutes. They have different ones for the face and the body and for different skin types. Easy to take care of and easy to use. I am even finding myself recommending these to some of my clients instead of a scrub. If I can save you money but still give you amazing skin, I will!
Give Yourself a Mini Facial
Simple, effective, deep cleansing & pure. All of our Facial and Body Sponges are Eco friendly, 100% natural and made from pure edible vegetable roots.The Konjac Sponge is as soft as butter, full of yummy skin friendly goodness! It cleanses the skin like nothing you ever experienced before, leaving the face clean, glowing and silky smooth.
100% Natural vegetable Fibre
Naturally Deep Cleansing
Removes Water based Make-Up
Suitable for Daily Use
100% Colouring Free
Soft & Gentle
Kind to You & Kind to the Environment