I was reading some beauty myths and I wanted to share them with you. One made me mad, frustrated and confused. The other made me laugh.
1. Putting Vaseline on your face nightly will prevent wrinkles– I agree that this is not true. The part that made me mad, frustrated and confused was what the dermatologist said, “Petroleum jelly is the strongest moisturizer there is because it forces oils into the skin and prevents them from evaporating.” He needed to elaborate on this. If you have oily skin, this may work for you but what about those of us with dry skin? I don’t have any oil in my skin so this would be absolutely useless on my face. At least the article mentioned the potential for breakouts that Vaseline can cause. I would not recommend this for anyone!
Often, not enough information is given, so people end up doing the wrong things for their skin.
2. Preparation H deflates puffiness– This made me laugh. Apparently the ingredient in the product that used to help us with this is no longer available in the U.S. version. They reformulated it in 1994! So basically all it will do now is dry out your skin and inflame your skin. Stay away from it!! 🙂
I get asked a lot what products I use, when I use them and basically what my routine is like everyday. I thought writing it out in this blog would be the best way. I actually use (and love!) the products I retail and use on my clients. Having dry and very sensitive skin, I have had to be pretty careful and selective with what I can put on it. I finally have a great routine and I am seeing the results! That’s the best part, right?
So, here it is. I keep it simple because I don’t want to spend an hour on my face morning and night.
Some additional things…
- Konjac Sponge– I use about 3 times a week with the Raspberry Cleanser.
- Make sure skin is damp (not wet) when you apply serums moisturizers and sunscreen.
- I always apply my products to the neck, chest and hands.
- I also apply Grapeseed Oil to my entire body at night.
I know this seems like a lot but it actually takes me less than 3 minutes to do my face (yes, I timed it). This means that even busy moms have time! 🙂
1. For the Feet– Mash 1/2 a banana, add a few drops of honey and rub onto bottom of feet. Wrap in plastic for 10 minutes and then exfoliate with a pumice stone. For extra soft feet- Massage oil (Grapeseed Oil is perfect) generously and put on socks. Go to bed. 🙂
2. Eyes– Green Tea actually does help your eye area because it has antioxidants and is an anti-inflammatory. Take the time to pamper yourself at home. Brew the tea bags and after they cool down, place them straight on your eye area. Or you can brew the tea and soak cotton rounds in the tea and place those on the eye area. Do this for at least 10 minutes. Great after a long night out.
3. Moisturizer– Please don’t ever skip this step! From dry skin to oily skin to acneic skin. Everyone needs it! It protects your skin and it helps your skin. If you think it is making you break out, you are most likely using the wrong one for your skin. The right one will not break you out or wreak havoc on your skin. Call, email or come see me if you have more questions about this.
4. Mouth– Worried about those fine lines and wrinkles? Well, you could stop using a straw (I’m not going to mention smoking because I know you don’t smoke…) but even I don’t want to do that! When you apply your eye cream, rub it around your mouth after. It will help with those pesky aging reminders.
5. Body– After I get out of the shower, that is when I apply Grapeseed Oil to my neck, chest, breasts and feet. I mentioned before how amazing this oil is for the face and it is no different for the body, especially on those areas. Since it is a lightweight oil you won’t feel greasy all day (or all night). Love it and I’m not dehydrated anymore, even in the winter!
I’ve said this a lot but I think it’s important to repeat. I had a client come in the other day and I could tell she wore Tinted Moisturizer. This isn’t something I should be able to guess when the client comes in with “clean” skin. Here is the trick to wearing this…
Always, Always apply your regular moisturizer first! Yep, it’s that simple! Make sure it dries and then apply the Tinted Moisturizer. Now the tint won’t get stuck in your pores or any dry patches you might have on your face. It will also give you a more even application.
This is an amazing ingredient that we naturally produce in our skin so when we use it, our skin doesn’t see it as foreign and easily accepts it and everyone can benefit from it. The fact that it plumps and softens the skin is why all the skin care and cosmetic companies are putting it in all their products. It’s also a key component in several injectable wrinkle fillers.
When you apply it to the skin, like in a serum or moisturizer, it helps to bind moisture to the skin as well as pull moisture from the air and is said to hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water.
I’d love to say that this will eliminate fine lines and wrinkles but this blog (and what I do) is about honesty. What it can do for you when applied topically is form a barrier on the skin and give a soft moisturizing effect that makes skin smoother. That’s good enough for me!
I had a 1st time client the other day tell me that she started using a hyaluronic acid serum because her friend recommended it but she wasn’t sure why it was beneficial. I told her what it was doing for her and she said that had noticed her skin was more supple and that she had actually been getting compliments about the appearance of it. She is a woman in her 60’s and has been using it for about a month and already noticed a difference.
I started using Skin Script earlier this year and hyaluronic acid is in 2 of the products I use. Shortly after, I added 3 Le Mieux serums to my routine, 1 of them being just hyaluronic (featured above). My skin has completely changed. I have always suffered with really dry skin and every time I waxed, my face showed it for days. Now, even in the winter, no one knows. I don’t have that tight, dry feeling anymore.
Bottom line…I love it and everyone one should be using it! Dry, oily, acneic, in your 20’s, in your 60’s, it doesn’t matter.
For more information or to purchase:
I love Skin Script Rx Skin Care. I use it everyday on myself, I use it in my treatment room and I retail it to my clients. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t something that could be better out there so I like to do research. Below I have compared two skin lightening pads and (spoiler alert!), Skin Script came out on top.
Philosophy Microdelivery Triple-Acid Brightening Peel
Retail $69 for 12 individually pads (12 treatments)
- triple-acid formula dissolves dull skin, buffers the appearance of fine lines and enhances skin clarity
- skin-brightening technology visibly reduces the appearance of dark spots and discoloration
- niacinamide (4th ingredient) can improve skin’s elasticity, dramatically enhance its barrier function, help erase discolorations, and revive skin’s healthy tone and texture.
- the 2nd ingredient is sd alcohol (closer to the top means it is a main ingredient) and that is known to be drying and a skin irritant
- 1st lightening ingredient is listed as the 5th ingredient and the others are after
- other irritating skin ingredients
- the price
Skin Script Rx Glycolic and Retinol Pads
Retail $23.00 for 50 pads
- these pads break up surface oil to refine pores and reveal fresh, healthy skin.
- Kojic and arbutin lighten sun spots and scars left from blemishes.
- the price
- packaging (pads are soaked in solution so they can be cut up for spot treatments)
- 2% glycolic
- 4% arbutin- limits melanin production, reduces visible pigmentation through lightening actions
- 3% kojic acid- inhibits tyrosinase and also lightens existing pigmentation naturally, comparable to Hydroquinone without the negative side effects
- if you have super sensitive skin, these won’t be for you; although most of these type of products won’t be healthy for you
Just looking at the facts, I would definitely go with Skin Script Lightening Pads. The price is significantly less and the ingredients are significantly better!
If you’re not waxing, then here are some tips to make shaving a bit easier and look a lot better. (Call me if you want to start waxing 🙂 )
1. If you have already irritated, red bumps on your skin, don’t shave over them. You will only irritate them further. This is especially important for the underarms where it can get painful.
2. Shave last. Let the water and heat hydrate and moisturize the hair and skin before you shave.
3. Try to avoid shaving over the same area over and over again. Once should be enough. If it isn’t, check your razor.
4. Shaving creams are great but hair conditioner works great too! Don’t use your expensive stuff; any conditioner will do. You don’t need very much and your legs will be super soft and super moisturized after the shower. Nair is another secret. It is crazy how soft your legs will be…and your hands. 🙂
5. Don’t pick at ingrown hairs, scabs or bumps. You will only end up scarring yourself and/or irritating the skin. Cortisone cream will calm the skin and the ingrown hair will eventually come out on its’ own. Don’t use cortisone cream any longer than 2 weeks because it can thin the skin.
Have you heard about this new tool? I’m in love! I did a lot of research on this before I decided to purchase because it sounded too good to be true. I finally gave in and thought I would try it out for myself to see what the hype was about. Of course, my family are my guinea pigs…
Mom- She had this thing on her nose for so many years, she was convinced it was just part of her nose. After just one session with the spatula, the “thing” started erupting (for lack of a better word). Since then, I have used it one more time and it is almost gone!
Dad- He has very dry skin and is constantly scratching his back. He uses walls and posts like a cat and it was always a family joke. One back facial with the spatula and he is itch-free. It has been 4 days and still nothing. He can’t believe it!
Sister- Her skin is pretty clear but we decided to try it to see what would happen. The next day, I asked her what she thought and she realized that she wasn’t wearing any concealer (she always wears makeup) because she didn’t need it. She said her skin looked much more even!
Push out impurities and clear away excess oil with the sonic vibration of the Skin Spatula. As the skin cells vibrate, the tissue and pores become softened, extracting environmental toxins, oil and makeup. On the flip side, the spatula aids in the absorption of water or gel-based skin products with the same sonic push, giving you double action in one tool. The energy of the ultrasonic waves brightens and evens skin tone while providing long lasting results and radiant skin, all for just minutes a day.
• Vibrating ultrasonic waves exfoliate dead skin & extract dirt and oil from clogged pores
• Hydrates new cells
• Spatula shaped tip can be used to penetrate serums & gels for better efficacy
This spatula is used with EVERY* facial!
*excluding express and teen facials
I am very fortunate to have a mentor that has guided me through my career so far. I have known her for a very long time so when I finally decided to go to school to become an Esthetician, she was very supportive and said she would help me. I remember her telling me years ago that it didn’t really matter what school I went to, it was what I learned after that mattered. A little sad, actually. Why aren’t the schools better? I got lucky and had a great teacher but I know others that didn’t.
I read an article a long time ago that was titled, “8 Secrets Your Esthetician Won’t Tell You.” It always bothered me. In every profession there are people that are dishonest but I felt like that article makes it seem like we are all liars or secretive about our knowledge. I pride myself on being truthful with my clients. That was one of the first things my mentor taught me. She said that it’s important to be honest and if I didn’t know something, say that. I could always get the answer later and tell them then.
So I want to go through the list…
- We Can Scar Your Face– I’m not going to do that! I am gentle with my extractions and people do not leave my treatment room red or irritated.
- You Can Get the Same Results at Home– That just isn’t true. Yes, home care is extremely important but what I do in the treatment room can’t be done on your own. That is the point of you coming to see me. People always ask me how often they should come in and I am honest about it. I could make a lot more money telling people to come in all the time but I won’t do that to my clients. Of course, if pampering is what you are after, there is no harm in coming often.
- You Can Ignore Our Sales Pitches– I do think that the products I retail are great but that doesn’t mean you have to purchase them. Anyone who has come to me, knows that. I offer alternatives all the time. Heck, I even recommend grapeseed oil as a nighttime moisturizer. I want your skin to be the best it can be and if you choose to use my products, great!
- We Love Popping Pimples, But We Aren’t Taught How to Do It– Definitely not true for me. Not only was I taught in school but my mentor also went into great detail with me. This is why I don’t scar you!
- Never Trust a Zitty Esthetician– This can be true to some degree. We all struggle with our skin and sometimes even Estheticians have problems. If it’s an ongoing situation, I would understand the hesitation but otherwise, give them a break. I know that my skin was freaking out for a while when I was trying out a bunch of new products. It can happen.
- We Know If You’ve Been Picking– This is definitely true! And I will definitely call you out on it!! Some of you already know that. 🙂
- You Don’t Actually Need That Peel or Microdermabrasion– I will always recommend what is best for YOU. No exceptions! For me, it is not about the money, it is about what you need and what will make your skin look best.
- You Won’t See Immediate Results– Not true, for the most part. There are some facials that may require more treatments (and continued home care) for you to see results. I want my clients to leave glowing and I try to make that happen after every facial. That is my goal.
- Never Trust an Esthetician with Long Nails– Well, maybe trust is a strong word but I figured this out on my own while in school. I didn’t understand how anyone could properly do extractions or massage with long nails. That is how you can scar and scratch people! Then, while talking to my mentor one day, she mentioned it. She told me that I should never trust another Esthetician that has long nails. 🙂 She, of course, wasn’t being serious about the word trust either, but she was right about the nails.
I am thankful for my mentor. She has helped me so much to get me where I am now. “Be better than Betty” is what she always tells me and I strive for that everyday.
Come see me and I’ll show you why I’m different.
Here are some skin-saving tips for traveling this summer. Have a blast on vacation and still come back with great skin!
1. Try to avoid wearing makeup on flights. Airplane air is very drying. Bring a travel size cleanser, toner and moisturizer with you so you can wash your face right before you land and apply your makeup after. You will feel better and look fresher!
2. Don’t forget your lip balm (not chapstick). Since the air is so dry, this will help keep your lips moisturized and ready for lipstick after the flight.
3. Drink lots of water. Avoid alcohol.
4. Bring eye drops. You want the kind that mimics real tears. This will help your dry and bloodshot eyes.
5. Don’t forget your sunscreen. Whether it’s sunny or overcast, it’s important to protect your skin. This includes during your flight.