They aren’t as scary as you may think. Many women watched the aftermath of Samantha Jones’ chemical peel from Sex and the City and feared that they too would have to wear a dark-colored veil to go out in public. That was a either a drastic peel gone wrong or done strictly for entertainment. (I’m voting for the latter!)
A chemical peel is a skin-resurfacing procedure in which a chemical solution is applied to skin to peel away the top layers. The skin that grows back after a chemical peel is smoother and younger looking. They can help with fine lines and wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, texture, acne scars and large pores (reducing the appearance of both).
Chemical peels can be done at different depths- light, medium or deep- depending on your desired results. Each type of chemical peels uses a different chemical solution. Deeper chemical peels produce more dramatic results, but can also involve longer recovery times.
Things To Know…
1. You don’t have to peel with a peel.
2. Visible exfoliation (flaking) is a symptom of the treatment. Everyone is different. Some may flake in certain areas on their face, some may flake all over and some may not flake at all.
3. Cellular change takes place in the epidermis (top layer) and dermis (2nd layer), regardless of the amount of visible flaking.
4. Peels are usually done in a series for best results. One will not give you what you want.
5. Consultation and/or a facial must be done before a peel. I will not do a peel on a new client. It’s important that we are on the same page as far as what you want, what you can expect and what will actually be done. Plus, I need to see and touch your skin. This is also when we will discuss the series and figure out chemical peel is best for you.
6. Home care products are key to producing great results. If you are using products at home that I recommended, then I know exactly how they work together with the peels. This is an important step. Not just for the results but also for the condition of your skin during the series. I’m almost hesitant to even do a series without the client using my products. When you purchase a series and products, it is always a better price. 🙂