I have often seen women on the beach or at the pool in a bikini while pregnant and this always surprised me. Now, I don’t have a problem with it (I actually think it can be pretty cute!) but there are reasons why a woman should be more covered up while pregnant.
1. Women are more sun-sensitive therefore it is much easier to burn. Increasing your chances of cancer.
2. Melasma is another reason to avoid the sun. Women’s estrogen levels are much higher and that stimulates the production of melanin (that is what makes you tan). It is very easy to get dark patches around the lips, chin, cheeks and forehead. Skipping one summer in the sun is worth it to avoid these undesirable dark patches that can take up to a year after delivery to fade.
3. Sunbathing can also be dehydrating. Not having enough fluids for a pregnant woman can be dangerous and lead to pre-term contractions. Obviously this is a more extreme case but better safe than sorry!
4. UV rays also break down folic acid. Not worth it since folic acid helps to reduce the chance of birth defects.
5. There has been talk that inhaling the fumes from spray sunscreens is not healthy for anyone so this would be especially true for pregnant women.