So many myths and remedies that have been around for years and a lot of people don’t know if they work or of they should try it. Here is a list of some popular “tips” I read and hear about all the time that you should AVOID!
1. Toothpaste– It can dry out your skin and actually darken the areas that you apply it.
2. Benzoyl Peroxide– This is an effective spot treatment and can be used EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE but this is why I don’t think it should be used all the time… a. Drying to the skin b. Can thin the skin c. Makes your skin photo-sensitive d. Can make your skin sensitive e. Can make your Langerhan Cells go dormant- these are responsible for killing foreign viruses/molds/bacterias.
3. Biore Strips– These don’t work even though they appear that they do. The black stuff you are seeing is the top of the blackheads but the strip is not actually removing anything under the skin, where the the build-up is trapped.
4. ProActiv– I’m sorry but I’m not a fan. And while this may work temporarily, it is not fixing the problem. It usually dries out the skin and after awhile, it stops working altogether.
5. Tanning (the sun or in a bed)- I know that people love this “remedy” but it just isn’t true. Tanning causes your skin to increase cell production which, in turn, creates more dead skin cells. That is what we are trying to avoid, right?
6. Dry Out Your Skin– I know people with oily skin want less oil. This is possible without drying out your skin. You need oil so it’s about finding a way to balance it. When you strip all the oil from your skin (most OTC products do this) then your skin produces more oil because it needs the moisture. It cannot produce water so you are left with oily skin. If you only use products that treat and replenish your skin, then you will find the balance.