Million dollar question, right? Sometimes acne can simply be caused by using the wrong products or not washing your skin at all. If this is the case, improving your skin will be much easier. Unfortunately, if your acne is hormonal then it will be much more difficult. We can usually improve the clarity, frequency and intensity though. Here are some tips…
1. Be consistent. Cleanse your skin every night and every morning.
2. Use products that are right for your skin and that will balance out the oil without dehydrating. Most OTC acne products take everything out of your skin and don’t replenish it. This can make things worse and/or cause you to age quicker.
3. Use Grape Seed Oil. This will hydrate your skin and balance the oil. Read here for al the benefits. My clients use and love this! It really does work. Cleanse, tone and apply oil. If you are using serums, apply those first and then the oil. A little goes a long way.
4. Keep your pillowcase clean. Even though you are washing your face every night, this is still important. If have a more severe case, then you should be changing/washing it at least every week.
5. Use alcohol to clean your phones and sunglasses. Bacteria spreads very easily.
6. Don’t touch or pick at your face.
7. Get regular facials. Having an expert do extractions helps. It’s better than you doing it and healthier for your skin.
8. Dairy can aggravate acne in some people. Give it up for 6-12 weeks to see if there is any significant improvement.
9. Drink lots and lots of water.
10. Make sure you aren’t using any pore clogging makeup. Heavy or thick foundations are not good for the skin. Try not reapply as the day goes on.
11. Wash your makeup brushes. You should washing them with baby shampoo at least twice a month and using a brush cleaner every single day. Of course, this is for people that wear makeup everyday. Adjust if necessary but those are the guidelines. Don’t reuse sponges and don’t use powder puffs.
12. Get a Clarisonic. It’s a great investment! This is a form of exfoliation so use at night only.
13. Wear SPF because you should anyway but also because sometimes the sun can darken the blemishes and leave your skin with scars and hyper pigmentation.
14. Salicylic Acid should be in your products. This is dehydrating so remember to use other products that will replenish water lost. (see #3)
15. Be gentle. You don’t have to scrub hard or a lot t o get results. Hopefully you are using effective products so that they can do all the work for you.
16. Take your vitamins. Some think that Zinc and Vitamin C are essential and extremely effective to boosting your immune system which can then help acne. You have nothing to lose!
17. Have patience and know that it will not go away in a day or even a week. Avoid buying anything that tells you differently.
18. Book a consultation and/or facial with me. I can help! Book Here!!