I am very fortunate to have a mentor that has guided me through my career so far. I have known her for a very long time so when I finally decided to go to school to become an Esthetician, she was very supportive and said she would help me. I remember her telling me years ago that it didn’t really matter what school I went to, it was what I learned after that mattered. A little sad, actually. Why aren’t the schools better? I got lucky and had a great teacher but I know others that didn’t.
I read an article a long time ago that was titled, “8 Secrets Your Esthetician Won’t Tell You.” It always bothered me. In every profession there are people that are dishonest but I felt like that article makes it seem like we are all liars. I pride myself on being truthful with my clients. That was one of the first things my mentor taught me. She said that it’s important to be honest and if I didn’t know something, say that. I could always get the answer later and tell them then.
So I want to go through the list…
- We Can Scar Your Face– I’m not going to do that! I am gentle with my extractions and people do not leave my treatment room red or irritated.
- You Can Get the Same Results at Home– That just isn’t true. Yes, home care is extremely important but what I do in the treatment room can’t be done on your own. That is the point of you coming to see me. People always ask me how often they should come in and I am honest about it. I could make a lot more money telling people to come in every month or every 2 weeks but if you don’t have an ongoing problem, that isn’t necessary for you. Of course, if pampering is what you are after, there is no harm in coming often.
- You Can Ignore Our Sales Pitches– I do think that the products I retail are great but that doesn’t mean you have to purchase them. Anyone who has come to me, knows that. I offer alternatives all the time. Heck, I even recommend grape seed oil as a nighttime moisturizer. I want your skin to be the best it can be and if you choose to use my products, great! If you don’t, I will still help you find products that will help you.
- We Love Popping Pimples, But We Aren’t Taught How to Do It– Definitely not true for me. Not only was I taught in school but my mentor also went into great detail with me. This is why I don’t scar you!
- Never Trust a Zitty Esthetician– This can be true to some degree. We all struggle with our skin and sometimes even Estheticians have problems. If it’s an ongoing situation, I would understand the hesitation but otherwise, give them a break. I know that my skin was freaking out for a while when I was trying out a bunch of new products. It can happen.
- We Know If You’ve Been Picking– This is definitely true! And I will definitely call you out on it!! Some of you already know that. 🙂
- You Don’t Actually Need That Peel or Microdermabrasion– I will always recommend what is best for YOU. No exceptions! For me, it is not about the money, it is about what you need and what will make your skin look best.
- You Won’t See Immediate Results– Not true, for the most part. There are some facials that may require more treatments (and continued home care) for you to see results. I want my clients to leave, glowing and I try to make that happen after every facial. That is my goal.
- Never Trust an Esthetician with Long Nails– Well, maybe trust is a strong word but I figured this out on my own while in school. I didn’t understand how anyone could properly do extractions or massage with long nails. That is how you can scar and scratch people! Then, while talking to my mentor one day, she mentioned it. She told me that I should never trust another Esthetician that has long nails. 🙂 She, of course, wasn’t being serious about the word trust either, but she was right about the nails.
I am thankful for my mentor. She has helped me so much to get me where I am now. “Be better than Betty” is what she always tells me and I strive for that everyday.